The desalination plants operating at Bowarege make this facility the world’s only full-time commercially operational, self-contained solution mounted on transportable barges which enables the plants to be moved at short notice to locations that have an urgent seasonal need or water deficiency.
Bowarege is a joint venture between ACWA Power and Raka Saudia Power and Water. The offtaker for the 50,000 m3/day is the Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC). The barges are currently moored in Yanbu on the Red Sea providing desalinated water to the towns of Yanbu and Medina. The facilities have previously supplied services to Shuaibah and Jizan.
Bowarege won the prestigious Saudi Water & Power Forum’s award for innovation in 2011.
- LocationYanbu, 250 km north of Jeddah, Western Saudi Arabia
- OfftakerSaline Water Conversion Corporation
- Desalinated Water50,000 m3/day, SWRO
- Project CostUSD 99 Mn
- Commercial Operational DateQ3 2008
- ACWA Power Share65%
- Offtake ContractWPA-BOO, renewable every 3 years
- Other InvestorsRAKAA Holding Company